Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Online class: I have gotten a 5 month contract job at Yahoo

Hello Mikhail,

I just wanted to let you know that I have gotten a 5 month contract job at Yahoo.

It was the recruiter that spotted an iOS keyword and submitted me for the position. I mentioned to him that I started to learn iOS programming but my knowledge of it was next to 0. The position is actually a iOS developer/Quality Engineer.  It will eventually require me to write code to test their mobile app. Luckily, the first 3 months they want me to do mostly black box testing.

I would have never applied for the gig but as you pointed out, the job description and what they actually needed  were very different.

Their job description was what they were hoping for, the recruiter found out what they would actually accept and it turned out they would take someone with good QA background, passion for sports and willingness to learn iOS development.  After 3 phone interviews they brought me in for couple of one-on-one sessions and offered me a job.

The whole process was a big surprise to me. I thought I completely bombed the first interview with the QA manager. Didn't know answers to  many questions about white box testing and API testing. I was ready to hang up on this guy in the middle of the conversation I was so embarrassed.  But they kept inviting me the follow up phone interviews.

After talking to them in person I really wanted to work there. The chemistry was there plus a chance to study the iOS programming which will make me more marketable in the future. I am very excited. The office is downtown SF, flexible schedule and the possibility of contract extension.

I will have to learn a lot. They let go most of their black box testers as they transition more towards automation. I will have to step up on the QA front as well as on the development side.  Scary but challenging at the same time.

Your class gave me the confidence and a lot of knowledge. Thank you. I am going to continue learning using your resources and log into webinars whenever I can. I will keep you posted about my progress. Hopefully, you will let me  ask you questions from time to time.

Thanks again

Cheers

Piter

No comments: